Internet notebook about my work: deep listening to facilitate positive change

.

Tuesday 6 November 2007

Communication without words

Even when we don't say anything we communicate. Body language. Not appearing where we were expected. Not returning a call. Etcetera. The portrait of Jan Six was not exhibited for more than 50 years. So when I had to be in The Hague today, I made time to go to the museum to see the painting. And I immediately had to think about how powerful communication can be without words.

The portrait tells a clear story. You see what he is thinking: My name is Jan Six. I am a man of the world. I love my city. I am a succesful business man, about to become a mayor of Amsterdam. I am used to get what I want. I look at my friend Rembrandt - who is painting me - with genuine sympathy. I really like a good artist. I buy his paintings so he can pay his debts. Actually I have to go out now, and have no more time to pose. So I am about to say: Rembrandt my friend, see you another time!

No comments: